Do you dream of playing like your favourite rockstar? Do you want to play your favourite instrument on the BIG stage? Want to take your playing to the next level? If you answered yes to any of those questions, there is one answer that can make them happen… PRACTICE! Yes, practice is the answer! Here are our top eight practice tips to take your musical abilities to the next level…
1. Set goals for your practice time- Setting goals for each practice session you endure keeps you on track to achieving your goals! This could be wanting to nail down a riff, figure out that one difficult phrase, or memorize a piece of music!
2. Warm up- Often times, people usually skip this crucial step in the practicing process. Warming up your voice and your instruments can make all the difference in your practice period. Getting your muscles moving allows you to solidify your techniques!
3. Record yourself- By recording yourself, you’re able to look back to see what errors need to be fixed and the progress you have made!
4. Make sure your practice space is set up- Before beginning a practice session, make sure you have all the material that you will need to make that session the most productive! Amps, tuners, patch cords, lyrics, chords…
5. Slow it down- A lot of the time, we like to jump into a song right at full speed. By taking it slowly, you’re able to break down difficult sections of the songs and nail them out faster!
6. Make notes in your music- By making notes in your music, it makes it easier to identify certain sections of the song and how to play them correctly.
7. Write down questions you have for your tutors- During your practice time, write out questions about parts that you are having difficulty with and ask your tutor at your lesson!
8. Focus on the positive- Although practicing may be frustrating, look at the positive! Maybe you tried out a new riff or hit a new note!